Where it all Started
Murphys Geelong was originally built in 1855, a post gold-rush hotel and was originally named The Argyle Hotel.
In 1859, the Geelong Football Club was formed in the Argyle Tavern at the club’s first board meeting. The Argyle grounds (located behind the venue) was to be the club’s home ground for some years until in 1878 when the ground’s owner, Silas Harding received a bill for unpaid rates, which the club had forgotten to pay. Harding was so angry, he ploughed up the field and cut down the goal posts. As a result, the club moved to East Geelong to a site known as Corio Oval.